Google AdsensePawtuxet Village Historic Houses in Cranston
BRIDGE STREET (1740) Remington Arnold House was erected around a large brick
chimney to permit several fireplaces in the house. Has survived several hurricane and floods.
BROAD STREET, was the first Pequot Trail, a bridle path used by Native Americans across the colony into Connecticut. This was later
named Pawtuxet Road, as it was the road leading from Providence to Pawtuxet. The name was later changed to Broad Street.
2139 BROAD STREET, (c1790) Dr. Comfort A. Carpenter House. This was the home of the village doctor. The ell
was where the doctor compounded medicines from herbs, grinding them by hand with mortar and pestle. He died on March 10, 1830.
2154 BROAD STREET, (c1740) Elisha Smith House. Reputed to be the oldest house still extant on Broad Street.
2157 BROAD STREET, (1895) PAWTUXET BAPTIST CHURCH. In 1764 Peleg Arnold donated a piece of
land for religious purposes and the following year Abraham Sheldon gave an adjoining lot. The present church stands on those two lots with
only a slight change of boundary. No records appear to exist as to the building of the first edifice, only the statement "having been
erected in 1805." In 1774 the General Assembly granted permission for the Pawtuxet Baptists to hold a lottery to raise £500, lawful money
to buy a lot and erect a parsonage. Anthony Aborn headed a committee of four men to run the lottery. The money was raised and a
parsonage built at 30 Fair Street. This would appear to indicate there had been a building previous to that time used as a church.
The second church was built in 1857. In 1895, with the widening of Broad Street, the second edifice was demolished and the present church
2180 BROAD STREET, (1893) Lindsay's Market stands at the corner of Broad and George Streets.
Built for the home of the Odd Fellows Mount Vernon Lodge No.50. The third floor window in the front is part of a Moorish Arch over which is three
links emblematic of Odd Fellowship.
2206 BROAD STREET, Pawtuxet drug store was opened in the spring of 1889 by Walter E. Watson in a small building at the corner of
Broad and Bridge Streets. It was the only one between the Pawtuxet Bridge and Thurbers Avenue and soon became known as the Pawtuxet
Pharmacy, now known as Cameron's.
PAWTUXET TEXTILE MILL. (No longer in existence) Around 1810 a large three-story textile mill stood at the Cranston end of the Pawtuxet
Bridge extending well over the banks of the river. It was owned and operated by Christopher and William Rhodes for cotton
manufacturing. Over the years it was used for a variety of purposes by several owners. On January 25, 1875 the mill burned. The
Pawtuxet firemen fought the blaze with its hand operated pump on wheels.
PAWTUXET BRIDGE. The earliest bridge across the Pawtuxet River was a rope bridge used in the seventeenth
century. The first small wooden bridge was built around 1711 and was located close to the falls where its abutments got the full force of
the river as well as the tide in the Pawtuxet Cove. It frequently required repairs and was carried away in the spring floods of 1771 and
1784. In 1810 a new stone bridge was built and in 1884 a twin arch span was erected. In March 1886 the river overflowed its banks and
the force and volume of water that poured over the dam filled the arches, built of stone and moved the Warwick end slightly on its abutments. In
the early twentieth century Pawtuxet Bridge and the rocks in the Pawtuxet Falls were frequently the target for graffiti artists. To
counteract this, the Pawtuxet Old Home and Improvement Association planted quick-growing vines to grow over the rocks and walls on each side of
the falls. The bridge was widened in 1932 with reinforced concrete construction faced with stone masonry. Repairs to the bridge are
the joint responsibility of the Cities of Cranston and Warwick, and it marks the unity of the two sections of Pawtuxet Village.
34 COMMERCIAL STREET, (c1835-1891) Pawtuxet Volunteer Fire Station (Now a Salvation Army Emergency
Service Vehicle Center) stands at the corner of Commercial and Sheldon Streets. The company was organized on February 11, 1891 and in
November land was purchased for the construction of a station. Plans were also underway at this time to build a larger school house on Commercial
Street. To save the one room school from destruction it was moved across the street to the land the firemen owned. The school
building was raised and a station built beneath it. A hallway and stairs were added to the end. The school was built circa
FORT AVENUE, running along Pawtuxet Neck got its name from the Revolutionary War fort that stood on a high bluff at the head of today's
Sheldon Street. The path to the fort was down Ocean Avenue with a turn onto Fort Avenue. Fort Neck, Cranston Neck or Pawtuxet Neck also got its
name from being a peninsula.
69 FORT AVENUE, (c1865) The Barracks House. After Fort Neck was no longer in use the timbers from the
guard house were used to build the dwelling of Captain Alonzo Crandall, better known as "Lon". He was a Pawtuxet boat builder and had a
boat yard just below his home. The front part is the old Barracks House, believed to have been erected circa 1865.
GEORGE STREET was named before the Revolutionary War. It was allowed to retain its name
even though it originally honored King George III of Great Britain during whose reign the American colonists won, by force-of-arms, their
21 GEORGE STREET. Built before the Revolutionary War on the site of today's Odd Fellows Hall. It
was moved to its present location in 1893 to permit the building of the hall.
OCEAN AVENUE, originally named Stillhouse Lane. In its first days the lane led only to the old still house kept by Joseph Rhodes during the
Revolutionary War. It stood on the corner of the bluff overlooking Stillhouse Cove to the north and Pawtuxet Neck to the south. Stillhouse Cove
is found on maps dated long before the American Revolution. Stillhouse Lane was the first approach opened to the Neck. Later it was named Carey
Lane and around 1850, when Sheldon Street was opened to the head of the Pawtuxet Cove, the name changed to Ocean Avenue. At the foot of this
street Lt. Dudingston, of the British schooner, Gaspee, was brought ashore at Stillhouse Cove on the night of June 10, 1772. He had been
wounded during the conflict aboard the Gaspee and was carried up Stillhouse Lane to the home of Joseph Rhodes, where he remained until his
wounds were healed.
1 OCEAN AVENUE, (1956) Rhode Island Yacht Club at the foot of Ocean Avenue, is the second oldest in this country. It was
erected in 1875-76. The first yacht club swept from its pier and toppled into the bay by an unnamed hurricane on September 21, 1938.
A sturdier club house was built in 1940, but along came hurricane Carol in 1954 and left only a cradle of spiles. Today's modern structure
was erected in 1956.
139 OCEAN AVENUE, (1910) Trinity Episcopal Church was organized in 1883 and met for twenty-seven years in a small chapel at the corner of
Commercial and Sheldon Streets. In 1910 a beautiful stone edifice was erected on Ocean Avenue next to the Masonic Temple.
60 RHODES PLACE, (1915) Rhodes-on-the-Pawtuxet. Located on the banks of the Pawtuxet River only a short
distance from the Pawtuxet Bridge, this resort for pleasure and recreation was founded in the year 1872 by Thomas H. Rhodes, a native of
Cranston. On February 15, 1915 a fire broke out and the building burned to the foundation. A larger structure was built and opened to
the public in August of the same year. From Maine to California and to the Gulf coast, this summer and winter resort for dancing, bowling and
canoeing became universally known.
140 SHELDON STREET, mansard-roofed, was built facing George Street in 1843. During the 1920's it was
turned around to its present location.
145 SHELDON STREET was built on the original Sheldon plat in 1857 by William C. Rhodes.
27 TUCKER AVENUE, (c1790). One of the last remaining brick enders. It stood on Broad Street
where Tucker Avenue is today. A Dr. Tucker, dentist, lived in the house when the new street was put in around 1896. The house was
moved to its present location and the street named after him.
32 TUCKER AVENUE. Gilford William Chace, a resident of Pawtuxet for 85 years and one of the original
Forty-Niners, was born in this house in 1812 when it was located at Peat Brook, then a part of Flint Village in Fall River, Massachusetts.
His parents moved to Pawtuxet when he was three months old and took up residence in a house on Bridge Street. Shortly after their arrival,
the house at Peat Brook was moved from its foundation, loaded onto a vessel and brought to Pawtuxet and set up again on Broad Street. Here
it remained a substantial two-story house until its removal to Tucker Avenue, then a new street in the village.