Pawtuxet Village Historic Houses in Warwick
PAWTUXET BRIDGE. Soon after 1638 Stephen Arnold and Zachariah Rhodes
built a grist mill at the Warwick end of the early Pawtuxet Bridge. Ships would bring corn from farms around Providence to Pawtuxet to be
ground into corn meal. In the early 1800s this grist mill was replaced by a small gable-roofed yarn mill owned by Christopher and William Rhodes.
In the latter part of the nineteeth century, a village blacksmith and carriage shop dominated the Warwick side of the Pawtuxet Bridge. In 1909
there was apparently a rather obnoxious "whiskey bottle" billboard disfiguring the view of Pawtuxet Cove as seen from the Pawtuxet Bridge.
The Pawtuxet Old Home and Improvement Association fought a long and hard battle to have such billboards removed or covered up with trees.
PAWTUXET PARK. With the trademark white gazebo and the walkways, Pawtuxet Park has become a summer favorite for people throughout the area.
There are often band concerts and other activities in the Park. The Park was acquired by the City of Warwick through the efforts of former Mayors
Eugene McCaffrey and Joseph Walsh.
17-23 BANK STREET, (c1775). Double structure, two-and-a-half story, flank gable, massive chimney. Two story
wings were added to the south and rear. Constructed by a sea captain, possibly by Andrew Barton. A sea captain lived in each end. The dwelling
could have housed workers for the local mill industry in the village.
27 BANK STREET, (c1725-1770) Lee House. Colonial house with a plain entrance and several rear additions. Two
small interior brick chimneys are in place of the massive original chimney.
2 EAST VIEW AVENUE, Aspray Boat House. The Aspray Boathouse is the headquarters of the Gaspee Day Committee Still retaining the name of Dick
Aspray, this building was originally a boat maintenance and overhaul shop. It was remodelled in the 1990s by local volunteer groups and now
proudly serves as a community center, polling station, and meeting hall. The interior houses a number of Gaspee-inspired memorabilia. During the
administration of Mayors Francis X. Flaherty and Lincoln Chafee, it was deeded to the Gaspee Days Committee. The Aspray Boathouse together with
the adjoining Pawtuxet Park are at the very heart of the community.
15 FAIR STREET (c1720-1804), Fisher House. Two story, gable-roofed. The two lower front rooms were originally a store.
In 1804 it became a dwelling and a second floor was added. The ell, dated 1715-20, was a small dwelling brought from another location and added
to the front structure.
42 FAIR STREET (c1850), Eleanor F. Rhodes House. A handsome, one-and-a-half story, gable-roofed Greek Revival, set
end to street. This is Warwick's finest surviving Greek Revival structure. It was owned in 1855 by J. W. Arnold. Possibly built by William C.
Rhodes, a local housewright who constructed several other Greek Revival dwellings in the village.
69 FAIR STREET (c1820-1848), Fair House. Two-and-a-half story, pedimented end gable. Greek Revival exhibition hall
with Italianate remodeling. Sits on land that was the old fairgrounds. The Rhode Island Society for the Encouragement of Domestic Industry, with
James Rhodes the President, held its fairs here yearly in the early 1800's. These fairs were forerunners of county fairs and were held here
for 20 years. The exhibition hall was remodeled into a beautiful residence.
130 FAIR STREET, (1799) Col. Ephraim Bowen House. Two-and-a-half story shingle, large and ornate. Built for Col.
Ephraim Bowen, the grounds extended to the shoreline. Bowen died in 1840 at the age of 83, the last surviving member of the 64 men that banded
together to row from Providence to Namquit Point (now Gaspee Point) to burn the H.M.S. Gaspee in 1772.
NARRAGANSETT PARKWAY and Peck Street, (c1898) O'Rourke's Bar and Grille. Two-and-a-half story, mansard-
roofed building that stood on Post Road until the Parkway was constructed. Formerly known as the Gaspee Lounge, the first floor was always used
for commercial businesses, with apartments above.
31 NORTH FAIR STREET, (1638) Captain Crandall House. One-and-a-half story, gambrel-roofed, unique cottage. This was
once a one room residence with a summer beam, and was moved from Prudence Island to Pawtuxet on a barge.
37 NORTH FAIR STREET, (1720-1800) The Old Stillhouse. A very unique dwelling that has always been
known as the Stillhouse. It was built in three sections. The front is dated as 1720, the middle is the old Stillhouse built by Ephraim Bowen
circa 1800 on the shore of his estate. Around 1850 it was moved to this location and added to the old house. At a later period an ell was added,
that is believed to have been a blacksmith shop on the abutting property.
PECK STREET, was laid out in 1734 as Peck Lane. At the foot of this narrow street, the
captured crewmen from the Gaspee were brought ashore on the night of June 10, 1772 and marched to a nearby farmhouse where they spent the
night in the cellar. (The house was demolished in 1962). Benjamin Smith had a shipyard at the shoreline. Here Pawtuxet ships large
and small to be manned by Pawtuxet men were built for the West Indies and southern coastal trade from the early 1700's until 1850. There was no
room here for cordage to be made for the rigging of the vessels. The rope walk was from the back of the Carr property and ran 600 feet down South
2-4 POST ROAD, (c1775) Kearsage House, Two-and-a-half story, gable-roofed, built before 1775 and altered during the
19th century. Used as a saloon in the 1800's, with a long porch facing the street.
6-8 POST ROAD, (c1775) Smith House. Two-and-a-half story, central chimney, gable-roofed dwelling, also
built before 1775. It was moved from a site closer to Post Road to its present location when the northern end of Narragansett Parkway was
constructed in 1923.
10 POST ROAD, (c1775), One-and-a-half story, gambrel-roofed with a small center chimney. In 1890 it was occupied by the Harris
family. Jabe Harris was an expressman whose route was from Pawtuxet to Providence and return. He had two mules pulling the wagon. This house has
undergone extensive additions and is set back off the road.
18 POST ROAD, (c1760) Old Post Office and Port of Entry. Two-and-a-half story, gambrel-roofed with 20th
century additions and alterations. When Narragansett Parkway was constructed the northeast corner was truncated and a flat roofed commercial
addition was added. The original part served as a customs house, where in 1805 at least 30 freight-carrying vessels were registered. The
first resident surveyor was Zachariah Rhodes and the last was Capt. George H. Pettis, when a two-masted schooner with 250 tons of coal entered
the cove on June 29, 1898. Later it continued to serve the village as a post office.
25 POST ROAD, (1800) Christopher Rhodes House. A typical two-story center chimney Federal house with a
beautiful fanlight doorway. Christopher Rhodes received his title of Brigadier General of the Fourth Brigade of Rhode Island Militia in May 1809.
He married Betsy Allen of South Kingstown and they had three daughters and two sons. Christopher was a prominent member of the family that
established the Pawtuxet Bank, and later served as a member of the General Assembly and as a prison inspector. In this house the three daughters
were married. Eliza married John R. Bartlett, an American author and artist born in Providence. In 1855 he became Secretary of the
State of Rhode Island serving until 1872. He authored many valuable historical records, his best known being The History of the Destruction of
the Gaspee. Christopher's daughter Sarah married Henry B. Anthony of Coventry. In 1840 he became editor of the Providence Journal,
living in the Rhodes house. He was elected Governor of Rhode Island in 1849 and 1850 and United States Senator from 1859 until his death in 1884.
The third daughter married Joshua Mauran of Providence. The Rhodes house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 31,
27-29 POST ROAD, (c1734) James and Malachi Rhodes House, Two-and-a-half flank gable, flat top Federal
doorway. The original southern portion of this structure was built in 1734 by James Rhodes, a three bay "half house" with end chimney. A northern
addition was added in 1774 by his brother Malachi.
30-32 POST ROAD, (c1760) Nel Slocum House, Two-and-a-half story, flank-gable, turned from its original
location facing the road. It now sits with its end to the road. An ell has been added and has a Victorian entry hood. In its first days the first
floor was a tavern and now the old Slocum Tavern has an antique store. Horatio Nelson "Nel" Slocum was an early Pawtuxet Village fixture
and oral historian.
PAWTUXET MILESTONE, Stands facing Post Road at the end of the Slocum House. This granite marker was placed by merchant John Brown to mark
five miles between Providence bridge and his country estate at Spring Green.
37 POST ROAD, (c1770) Sylvester and Mary Rhodes House. Center chimney, two-and-a-half story, gable-roofed
dwelling with flat Federal doorway. Built by James Rhodes on land left to him by his father Malachi Rhodes. James deeded the house to his son
Sylvester, who married Mary Aborn.
40 POST ROAD, (1814) The Pawtuzet Bank Building, (Bank Cafe). This mansard-roofed building was erected in October
1814 by brothers Christopher and William Rhodes, as a chartered bank to finance their infant textile empire and to serve the coastal trade of the
village. The ground floor was occupied as a bank and the second floor was used by the Pawtuxet Union Academy, a private school for girls. It
remained a bank until 1845 when the business moved to Providence. For many years it was the home of Dr. George W. Carr. The veranda was added in
1866. The Bank Cafe was established by James Tinker as a hotel and eating place in the late 1870's. He introduced the Rhode Island Jonnycakes.
The building has had many owners and closed its doors in the mid 1990's and is now a private residence. The structure was placed on the National
Register of Historic Places on April 24, 1973.
47-49 POST ROAD, (1740) Captain Thomas Remington House. A two-and-a-half story, gable-roofed dwelling
with paired interior chimneys and a fanlight doorway of the Federal period. It has been told that the Captain was in the slave trade and
quartered his slaves in a small building behind his house and held slave auctions in a barn.
69 POST ROAD, (c1811) Gaol House. This building was uesed as a small jail house. When no longer used for this purpose
it became a Boy Scout meeting hall. In later years it was turned around, an addition added, and it became a residence.
90 POST ROAD, (1785) John and Jeremia Randall House. A one-and a-half story, gable-roofed, modest
94 POST ROAD, (c1760) Wightman House. A two-and-ahalf story, gambrel-roofed dwelling with Victorian door hood
and bay windows added in the 19th century.
100 POST ROAD, (c1740), Two-and-a-half story, flank gable, center chimney. Owned by the Sherman family from at
least the mid 19th century.
110 POST ROAD, (1790) George Sheldon House. Two-and-a-half story, gable-roofed, small interior chimney and a Federal
entrance. Two story east ell.
118 POST ROAD, (1740) The Carder Tavern. Two-and-a-half story, flank gable, clapboard and shingle, central hall
plan. Used as the main inn or tavern in the 18th century for travelers on Post Road. One story about this old stagecoach stop is that following
General Burgoyne's surrender at Saratoga on October 17, 1777, part of his British army, escorted by the Pawtuxet
Rangers, marched through Pawtuxet on their way to homeward bound ships at Boston. They halted at this old tavern for half an hour, allowing the
Pawtuxet men a chance to see their families before continuing their march through Providence to Boston. It is also said that Chan and Eng, the
original Siamese twins, stopped here overnight during their New England tour in 1829.
126 POST ROAD (c1760) Captain John Carr House. This house had its Victorian door hood added in the 19th century. The
Captain had this dwelling built with a rounded ell to remind him of his cabin aboard ship. It was squared off in later years.
131 POST ROAD, (c1860) H. L. Johnson House. Greek Revival/early Victorian. One-and-a-half story gable-roofed
dwelling with porch. Henry Johnson built this for his residence. He had a blacksmith shop near the Pawtuxet bridge. It operated into the 20th
141 POST ROAD, (1798) William Rhodes House. Two-and-a-half story clapboard, central entrance with four end chimneys and
a front door with fanlight. Fine example of the Federalist period. Approximately fifty years after the house was built, an addition was added. It
has been said that Col. Rhodes used it as slave quarters. Set back from the road, this is the first house one sees when entering the actual
GREENE CEMETERY.. Located on the boundary of the historic district on Post Road. Within this cemetery lies the remains of numerous
colonial citizens and memorials to seafaring villagers who lost their lives at sea. Special note should be paid to the graves of William Sheldon,
Dorothy Iselin Paschal, and L. Hazard Knowles.
59 REMINGTON STREET, (1843) Pawtuxet Armory. This building on the corner of Bank and Remington, was
erected in 1843 by the state as an Armory for the Pawtuxet Artillary after the Dorr War Rebellion. It was a gift to the Pawtuxet Artillery for
remaining loyal to the Law & Order Party. In 1853 the lower rooms were used by the District of Pawtuxet to keep their fire apparatus. Armory
Hall was also the second Temple of Harmony Lodge where meetings were held for fifty years. After going to a private resident, the Pawtuxet
Rangers again acquired the building, restored it and have paid off its mortgage.
71 REMINGTON STREET, (1797). Side gabled, early cape set low into the ground with a pitched roof. Altered
over the years, this could have been used as a meeting place by the Pawtuxet Baptist Church.
25-27 SOUTH FAIR STREET, (c1830) Octagon-shaped house, the only one in Pawtuxet. This two-story
alterations, was constructed during the octagon house craze of the 1830's. One corner was built out, giving the house the shape of an irregular
heptagon. Subsequent alterations have obliterated the original architectural character of the dwelling.